Non-verbal presentation - your appearance and body language
SIGHT ' The way a person looks and acts affects how we respond to them. How can you get it right?
- Try to keep good eye contact
- Your clothes need to be smart and clean
- Keep shoes, hair, and nails clean and tidy
- Go easy with the jewellery
SMELL ' None of us like to think that we smell and it is often the most difficult thing to tell someone.
- A bath or shower as close to the interview as possible, clean socks, clean teeth and a bit of deodorant usually do the trick
- Don't drink alcohol before an interview - it will be noticed
- Don't get carried away with perfume or aftershave
- Don't eat strong smelling food just before an interview, such as garlic or spices. If this is difficult then invest in a breath freshener
TOUCH ' You are usually expected to shake hands with our interviewer(s) at the beginning and the end of your job interview.
- Why not practice shaking hands with family and friends so you feel comfortable
- Sticky palms and nerves usually go together so you could arrive early and ask to use the washroom. It may also help to keep a few tissues handy